Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Feeling a sneeze in my feet

When I was little, I had a bunch of Playmobil knights (They were nowhere near as cool as this, but the feet were similiar). There was a game that involved the knights and the footrest of my dad's La-Z boy recliner. I think the knights wound up majestically soaring across the room; I know they wound up with their feet broken off at the shin. My mom tried to fix them by gluing cut-down popsicle sticks on their feet, but they were never as good.

I felt like one of those knights tonight. I didn't actually lose half my foot, it just felt like it.

I sneezed, you see. I was out for my walk with Claren, and I sneezed. Doesn't sound so bad ... unless you have been around for one of my sneezes, seen my head fly into a counter or a computer monitor, seen the laptop fly off my lap, seen me sneeze myself right out of my wheelchair.

I did none of those things tonight, but I had not turned off my power chair before the sneeze. My hand hit the joystick and my chair went forward; my feet flew behind the footrests and got run over. With my feet bent backward under the battery of the chair (the top of the foot on the sidewalk), my body flew forward. I had my seatbelt on so I did not fall but I was hanging off the front off the chair, my feet stuck underneath.

I could have used a hand at this point, but Claren wasn't offering. I knew I had to back up the chair to free up my feet, which would allow me to get fully back in the chair. But I was tilted so far forward because my feet were stuck. Finally, I managed to pull my trunk back on to the chair enough so I could back it up and pull my feet out. I'm not quite sure why the wheelchair didn't become to front heavy and topple forward. Except I would have been so pissed if that had happened, God himself was scared to let that happen. Well, pissed or dead, not sure which.

No comments:


Blog Archive