Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Helplessly hoping

Even when my disability was hiding away under my Toughskins, I don't remember ever doing that trust exercise where you fall backward and your partner in the exercise catches you.

I certainly wouldn't try it now. It's not that I don't trust someone to catch me. I don't trust myself to fall straight backward or to stay relaxed. I am sure I'd jerk my way out of my partner's grasp and fall and break my back.

Instead, I play a hope game. It goes like this: I start to fall but catch myself. But I find myself stuck and holding on to a bar or a railing or my chair to keep from tumbling. The only way free is to let go and hope for the best -- that the floor won't be as hard as it looks, that my head will miss the marble sink, whatever.

Fun stuff. I am a hoping pro, though, amateurs should not attempt it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice, Matt. Hoping the floor won't be as hard as it looks? I'll hope that along with you and add another, hoping you know how really funny and great you are.
mtc

Matt said...

Well, I do make myself laugh, pretty hysterically sometimes.

Anonymous said...

I like when you are laughing so hard you can't understand the story that you are telling. Also, thinking of you in Toughskins just reminds me how you would jump and land on your knees and now I see my boy doing that. What a bad trick to learn!

EJD

Matt said...

Toughskins remind me of my St. James uniform and how I would sleep in my school pants and how even if they had grass stains when I went to bed, they would be clean in the morning. Sort of. YUCK!


Blog Archive