Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Pretty puppy or diabolical dog?

I went to an awareness fair today to answer questions about service dogs. Mostly I just said: "Please don't pet her; she's a working dog. But you can pet the puppy over there." At which point they would leave us and go pet the puppy.

One of my longest conversations was with these two women. I was explaining how Claren's puppy-raisers thought she would be partnered with a young working man. At that point, one of the women said that was similar to her dog -- a female lab -- who is totally bonded to her husband.

I said that Claren and I are a definite pair, but that at playtimes Claren hunts out the dog-loving female humans to play with.

They both found this funny, and one said she is trying to be a matchmaker for me. They found that hysterical.

I started to point out that the problem is she doesn't distinguish between married and unmarried women. Actually, her favorite women are mostly married. So if she is trying to be a matchmaker, she is also trying to be a home-wrecker. My college roommate once suggested I teach her to look for rings to prevent this issue.

I think I am funny, and if Claren wants to split up Sarah Michelle Gellar and Freddie Prinze Jr. more power to her. But no one wants to hear about my devious dog, so the women left, probably to pet the puppy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think training her to look for a ring is a good idea and considering how smart she is (and you are) it is a real possibility.
mtc

Matt said...

I am sure she could learn, but I am not sure how I'd teach it. Plus: I'd need a bunch of women assistants, with and without rings, and this service seems slighty sexist so I suspect I might get few volunteers. Maybe if I told them they could pet Claren? Kidding, kidding.

At the awareness day, this guy I was talking to and I glanced over at the puppy and she was surrounded by women. The guy says: When I was in college, this guy came into the dorm with and when all the girls were petting the dog, the guy's partner robbed all the rooms. I was shocked at the stereotyping.

Anonymous said...

I think Callie and her school mates need community service hours.
xxoo
JTG

Matt said...

I don't want to teach Claren to pick up teen-agers!


Blog Archive