Monday, June 25, 2007

Here are my medical records. Happy?

I met a woman tonight when I was out walking Claren. This woman, I'll call her Cheryl because that's her name, had a dog, too, and we let our pups meet and made some small talk.

We moved mighty quickly into big talk.

"So why are you in a wheelchair," she asked. Not content to just make me feel awkward, she also asked, "When was the last time you walked?" Because it is neat to make strangers relive the pain of their lives.

She wanted to know more stuff, too, and I told her whatever she asked.

Part of me, a very large part, wants to say, "Ummm, I’ll tell you if you tell me your most private, painful secret."

I accept that I have no medical privacy in doctors' offices. It is not a doctor’s appointment, unless med students come by to watch "the amazing ataxian. He doesn’t walk, doesn’t talk (clearly)."

I really just want to say, "None of your business" to Cheryl and her kind of people.

But then I think about how disabled I am and how badly I want to be cured and how that needs money, maybe from some random person who just donates to a cause because it’s a disease some polite, plucky little guy she talked to has.

Also, that might qualify as mean bitter.

See, I have no choice.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK
Here is the deal. You do NOT have to talk to people who are ignorant! NO ONE has the right to make you feel uncomfortable! How about you just say. I have a genetic condition. And if they persist say something llike It's kind of personal. Perhaps we need to teach Claren to speak. Or get you a helper parrot that will learn helpful phrases like Buzz off and So how come you are stupid? I would take it to work with me so it could learn lots of helpful phrases of that sort.
Grr
mtc

Anonymous said...

this is where your PAFP (personal assistant female pirate) would come in handy. And that would dovetail nicely with the parrot.
xxoo
JTG

Matt said...

I am pretty sure that the parrot would not learn to say "Buzz off" at your work. Something else very apt, I am sure, but nothing that G-rated.

And the pirate would have totally run her through, and then I could say some piratocal catchphrase like "Shiver me timbers."

Awesome.


Blog Archive