Tuesday, June 26, 2007

I'm itching, and I'm too polite to scratch

If I wore a diaper, I'd have diaper rash. Were I a jock, I'd call it jock itch. But I don't wear a diaper and despite my equestrian adventures, I don't think I am a jock. That means I get to name my disease: wheelchair leprosy.

I know it is not unique to wheelchair users to find heat, itchy skin, tight quarters and sweat uncomfortable. Legend has it that one of my brothers-in-law walked into his home, shouted "I hate underwear" and started clawing off his clothing.

But for fellas in wheelchairs, pulling off clothes is not so easy. Neither is putting on powder. You can't stand but are trying to shake powder on to a part parallel to the ground. And you're sitting in a wheelchair all day. talk about tight quarters.

And I don't mean to exclude the gals, but from what I hear they are missing two appendages that add to the discomfort.

I am thinking about not using my seatbelt for a while because it may make things hotter and more squeezed.

Then of course I could fall. But if I wound up in a hospital with broken body parts, I would wear a loose-fitting gown, not clothes.

Everyone who is depressed totally needs little kids around. It is awful hard to be sad when people are feeding you Goldfish crackers and chanting your name. Even if they are 2-year-old nephew and 4-year-old niece.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm really starting to think there is somthing to this pirate helper idea. A pirate could help with this issue too, as could a helper monkey. Pretty soon you'll have an entire menagerie. Until then, I hate underwear, at least I know someone who does.
love
mtc

Anonymous said...

Mattie:
I'm telling you -- Utili-kilt.
Don't knock it till you've tried it.
http://utilikilt.com/
xxoo
JTG

Matt said...

Would I wear anything under my kilt? I am not Scottish, you know.

Anonymous said...

I thought that was the whole point. Fresh air.
JTG

Matt said...

See, I was thinking about this, and I would be like Britney Spears getting out of a car. You'd see things if a wheelchair user wore a kilt.

Anonymous said...

i have typed and deleted several responses here, Matt. I just can't go through with them. Contact me off list...
JTG


Blog Archive