Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Too many rivers to cross

In a classic Calvin and Hobbes strip (I know, they're all classic), Calvin breaks a dish and his mom says "Your problem is you've got no common sense."

Calvin tells her he has plenty of common sense; he just chooses to ignore it.

Perhaps I ignore my common sense, too. What better way to explain why, when I was falling into my dresser this morning, I consciously stuck my face out front.

Really, like a horse stretching for the checkered flag. Only instead of being crowned with a blanket of roses, I smacked smacked the dresser.

Nothing like cleaning your sinsuses with a quick bash to the nose, cheek and upper lip. And surprisingly little blood. But it still feels wierd, maybe 5 broke my nose again.

Work was blah. Another wheelchair passenger on my ride in this morning wanted to use my company's bathroom. I told him it was not wheelchair accessible because the first-floor ones aren't.

I am not sure, but it looked like he took matters into his own hands out in front of my office. I didn't look. That way I can honestly say I saw nothing, thank you Sgt. Schultz.

I was riding down the elevator later in the day. Claren was in front of me; my back was right at the elevator doors. Next to Claren was a woman, who elbowed past me to get off. I had started off the elevator and had to stop for her. Next time, maybe I won't stop. Or I'll tell her, "Wheelchairs get the right of way, hootchie."

And all day, I was beset by loneliness. I feel a little gullty because I was in a horseback riding show over the weekend and had lots of folks cheering me on. But back at work, I was reminded that none of the people I consider my closest friends at work wished me luck when I told them about the show. Heck, none even responded to the e-mail about the ride.

I have worried for years that I like people more than they like me, that they get bored or creeped out by me. My family doesn't count. I told my mom that this worry remains because only once in a great while does someone do something to challenge it.

More often, it is reinforced by something that happens. Even something that means nothing but takes on great significance when I am sitting here alone again.

Calvin's mom seems to think breakage results from ignoring common sense. Someone else said: "Faith is believing in things when common sense tells you not to."

I will keep chatting with people, hoping they aren't bored or worse. Whether this is faith or asking for more breakage, I just don't know.

3 comments:

Professor Howdy said...



Hello!
Very good posting.
Thank you - Have a good day!!!

Anonymous said...

Arrghh, Matt
You are not boring or creepy. Ask the kids. They are incapable of lying to make a person feel better (at least the little ones are) and they LOVE YOU and LIKE YOU and ENJOY BEING AROUND YOU.
Lots of people suck. This is what I have learned and faith is better than breaking and it is an imperfect world that makes you risk one to have the other.
mtc

Matt said...

Yeah, but they think wheelchairs are cool, so what do they know?

But thanks. I am better-ish today. I have some moster mood swings, don't I?


Blog Archive