Monday, July 2, 2007

I'm bad; I'm nationwide

I think I am a bad disabled person.

For one thing, I have very little patience with people who are disabled and are not friends or family.

This morning, we pulled up at a house to pick up another disabled client because the para-transit system is a shared ride service. We waited 15 or 20 minutes before she came out. I was so mad.

I know intimately all the stupid little delays that you can face on a normal day. It didn't matter, though. She made me late.

Part of it is because I get up early enough that all those stupid little delays don't keep me from making my ride on time. Others should do the same.

In my defense, though, you could take the word "disabled" out of the sentence "For one thing, I have very little patience with people who are disabled and are not friends or family" and it would probably be partly true. Maybe I'll get a pass on this one then, and just be allowed to wallow in my misanthropy.

But somehow I suspect the following is going to cost me disability hit points.

After much internal debate, I have decided independence is for suckers.

Sure I can wheel myself up inclines, but it is a whole lot freakin' easier to get a push. Yes I have done my laundry, but I have to stand up to put the clothes in the dryer, so why shouldn't I let my folks wash my clothes for me. Plus, my mom can fold in 10 minutes clothes that would take me 10 hours and it actually looks folded, not like someone was trying to make an origami snowball.

What I am hoping is that I'll get drummed out of the ranks of the disabled. Then I could walk!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

an interesting and untried strategy. let me know how it works. in the meantime, being impatient can work in your favor. people get afraid of you and then they try to conform to your schedule. and thoughtlessness of other's schedules (especially in a forced sharing situation) is not good manners no matter whether you walk or not.
mtc

Matt said...

I want people to love me, not fear me.


Blog Archive