Thursday, September 20, 2007

Everybody's inconvenienced, but only I have to use the elevator

Everybody's inconvenienced, but only I have to use the elevator

A department at work that I interact with regularly is moving to a different floor.

I asked my boss why and he said to get people nearest other people with similar jobs. I told him I hated the idea and he agreed and said, "Everybody's inconvenienced."

I agreed out loud but what I was thinking was: "Yeah, but everyone can just use the stairway that takes them straight into the heart of the moved department. Oh wait, I can't. I have to take the elevator."

This department helps with projects, guess I won't be doing many of them, huh?

I actually had to go down there today to check on the status of a weekly project. I e-mailed a couple of people, but no one responded.

When I got down to the new floor and back to the department, I saw one of the people I e-mailed. He told me he was waiting for the other person to respond. Of course, that other person wasn't there, and it did not occur to the one who was there to look ... until I ca down there.

Fifteen minutes later I was back on that floor, this time for an ice cream party. It was tasty.

They held it in a big open area of the second floor, sort of. Actually, it was in a conference room off the big open area. Instead of being free to move around. I squeezed into the conference room, squeezed out and returned to my desk. Party!

I know nothing was done to me particularly. I am like collateral damage. But that doesn't really make you feel better; you're still damaged even if it was unintentional.

No comments:


Blog Archive