Thursday, September 13, 2007

Planning for the wrong thing

A friend of mine is having a book release party, but I am not sure I can go.

And it isn't because she's too young to be an author. Lisa's my age, so it's cool. I am not jealous (well, not much).

I even RSVP'd that I'd be there, but that was before I openly declared myself the biggest dork in the world.

I say "openly" because it is not that big a surprise -- I do have shelves full of action figures -- but I do like to maintain a facade of coolness, no matter how thin.

I got the Evite and saw it was a cocktail party at Chez Solomon. "I wonder if the restaurant is accessible?" I thought.

That is one of the biggest annoyances of being disabled: You have top plan everything in advance. Can I get there? How? Can I go to the bathroom there? Can my service dog come? Where's the curb cut? Will someone be there to assist me? Someone I trust?

I could go on and on.

I got Mom to call Chez Solomon to check on accessibility. She hears better on the phone than I do.

Apparently, Chez Solomon is just a person's home, not a restaurant. I still would have had to check on accessibility, but I feel so foolish for not realizing that it was a home. Apparently, my mom and the husband had quite a laugh about it.

I am not sure why actually. It doesn't sound d so horrid now that I read about it, but I cringe when I think about it.

Just buy her book.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are not a dork. How would you have known? By the way, i shared your blog with a co-worker and this is what she said: "i read your brother's blog for a bit. it is totally cool. the whole riff about the suicide and bitterness and so on. what a man."
OK?
love you
mtc

Matt said...

"What a man" is right! Just one who asks his mommy to call places for him.

And can you judge dorkiness? I think I get some of it from your husband and sons.

Anonymous said...

i can't buy her book because it's too late for my kids. I love the cover photo though.
Your story reminds me of the time i though i was in a line for a restroom and in fact i had just crashed a private conversation. Oh well.
xxoo
JTG

Anonymous said...

Hey! My husband and sons may be many things but dorky is not one of them! I prefer to think of them as eccentric and unique! just like you
love
mtc

Matt said...

Ahh well. I'll see if she can write about teens next.

I hope one day to be rich enough to be eccentric.

Anonymous said...

So this is the first time i have left a comment on your blog even though i have read all the entries.

I say don't worry about the dorky thing because I thought Chez Solomon was a bar/restaraunt thing too and I am super cool. Tee-hee.

Love Ya
megc

Matt said...

Your mom lets you read my blog?! I may have to curtail my cursing? Oh wait, you are related to Em and your mom; you've heard it all before.

Thanks, you are super cool.


Blog Archive