Wednesday, November 7, 2007

I'd rather write than work anyway

I Am able to post this because my ride, which was supposed to arrive between 10 and 10:30 am, got rescheduled for 10:59 a.m. Traffic, I am told.

I also spoke to them about my complaints and was told that my trip is 18 miles and therefore can take up to two hours. I pointed out that there is public bus service that could do the job in an hour and was told that it did not matter because those were county buses, not city buses. So since the city buses do not run to where I live, a two-hour trip is equitable.

I can't begin to say how sick I feel.

I was feeling pretty good when I left my doctor appointment yesterday.

The appointment actually was not with a physical therapist but with a doctor of rehab medicine. I told her all my problems and she told me where to go for treatment.

I left with a handful of prescriptions.

One is for aquatic physical therapy, which has me pysched. That is to treat my legs and improve general conditioning. She gave me a script for a regular PT as well to work on similar things on dry land.

One is for occupational therapy and another for speech therapy to work on swallowing and voice.

I got one for a new wheelchair and a seating clinic with a good wheelchair company not the piece-of-crap company my insurance company sends me to.

The coolest one is for a electronic stim anklet, which is just coming on to the market. I will be a guinea pig for it. But it is supposed to tell my ankle to hold my foot up by reading my nerves in my calf. The doctor was pretty excited and said it might even lead to standing. I think she is a little optimistic, but it will start me toward my lifelong dream of becoming a cyborg.

But then I started thinking more about insurance and cost. I have to pay $1,500 before my insurance starts to cover therapy, and then it is still only 80% a visit. Who knows about the wheelchair?

Mom says if any of it makes me more fit, it is worth it. And it probably is, but if I use all my money for getting fit, what then? I can be fit and homeless? One of my sisters and her family are planning to build a house with an in-law suite for me. It would be a dream come true, in so many ways, but it costs money. Money I am about to spend on therapy?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

we have yet to let anyone in our family become homeless.
xxoo
JTG

Matt said...

There is always a first. Kidding, kidding. I know I won't be homeless, but the future scares me. I need to marry someone crazy wealthy. Then I won't worry, promise.


Blog Archive