Sunday, December 23, 2007

It is looking a lot like Christmas

I told Mom today that I think she needs to get her grandchildren to decorate the Christmas tree. She actually admitted I might be right.

It's just not as easy anymore. I don't remember having to pick pine needles out of my skin, like I did this year. It is entirely possible I blocked it from my memory because getting Mom and Dad's house ready for Christmas is so wonderful.

Each year the box come down with the ornaments and figures wrapped in tissue or wrapping paper. Mom sent the ornaments of each child to us when we got older and had our own tree. (Most of us, anyway. One brother said he wanted her to keep them for her tree. It was not as kiss-up as it sounded.)

You are almost always surprised to find certain ornaments you had forgotten. For me this year it was the huge goldfish, which is mine but would not fit on my tree.

I missed my siblings, who all allegedly had other things to do (like their own families or in-laws). I was the only one to help Mom and Dad decorate..

I guess I just love my parents most. I will be expecting proof of this on Christmas.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that the reason you do not remember the needle pricking you is that we never had a cedar tree when we were little. It is much more prickly that regular pine trees, but smeels so fine. See you tomorrow.

B

Anonymous said...

Every year when we decorate, I put on my tree Barry's Christmas train, with Santa on the roof, and I expect he puts on his tree my Christmas carriage with a decorated tree on the roof. I think that's the only mistake Mom made in divvying up the thousands of ornaments. It was always great at 301 to have the boxes come down -- boxes from all those department stores that no longer exist. Is the village up? Are the LEON carrollers in place? Can't wait to be there -- on Friday.
xxoo
JTG

Matt said...

Barry did not take his ornaments. I put the stagecoach with a tree up. Is that what you mean?

And we had a cedar tree one year. It was, I believe, the year I pulled over the tree.


Blog Archive