Wednesday, December 19, 2007

No, people are great

For a few days now, I have been thinking about my winter in Chicago (well, Evanston, a close suburb) and this girl.

I was in grad school and she was in another program but also lived in the graduate dorm. I forget her name; I want to say "Michelle."

Like any winter in Chicago, it snowed a lot. Unlike anywhere else I have lived, though, life goes on pretty normally. You wear multiple layers and brave the elements.

There was some serious "braving" going on because I was still walking at the time, but not steadily. I had a homeless guy wander by me and make a crack about me being drunk. For some reason it was very important to me to track him down and tell him I was disabled, not drunk. Like that's better. Man, I'd give anything to wake up with a hangover but able to walk.

One day it was snowing, and by the time I left for home it was up to my calves. I saw this girl and she said: We need to help each other. I knew that she was going to be doing most of the helping, and I am sure she did, too. But she put it in such a way that I could not turn down.

And so we helped each other home, or she helped me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Matt, people can be great. Often not the ones we expect to be or in ways we don't expect. But they can be great. But, as you know, they can be not so great too. I imagine this is what makes them people as opposed to something else. Here's hoping you encounter one of the great ones tomorrow.
I love you
mtc

Matt said...

Today was the last day for many of the people leaving work. They seemed great.


Blog Archive