Thursday, February 28, 2008

Time to choose a chair

I had forgotten how nice it is not to have to spend 10 minutes fiddling with the faucet to get the right shower temperature.

I got my shower fixed yesterday, and this morning I had time to shoot hot water on my legs in a fruitless effort to warm up my calves, time to find a business card I have needed all week and time to decide which chair to use.

I stayed in my power chair, the chair I have been using most of the month. I tell myself, and anyone who asks, that I am using it because it is cold. I have to touch less metal if I use the power chair. I also get out of the cold faster if I am in the power chair. I get everywhere faster in the power chair. Faster and easier.

But I hate it.

I don't get any exercise by using the power chair, for one. It is falling apart and looks crummy, too, although the new one, in fire engine red, is on order. Not that it is ever an option for me, either, but I can't go anywhere with anyone else. I mean the manual chair collapses and fits in someone's car easily.

Most of all, I think, is that it makes me feel more disabled. But it is easier and it conserves energy. And my nephew really likes it.

No comments:


Blog Archive