Friday, February 29, 2008

An unwanted intrusion

I was going to write about breakfast and how I took a sip of tea, which was too hot, and my lips, head and arm all convulsed, spilling tea all over and sending pieces of Pop-Tart on to the floor. But then a more interesting topic barged in: DEATH. Mine, of course.

I was crossing the street tonight across from my condo. It has two lanes in each way, and I was in a brightly lit intersection in a crosswalk with a big yellow dog. Not really inconspicuous.

Nevertheless, this jackass decided he had the right of way and pulled out of the condo parking lot rather quickly. I guess he thought he would beat me across the street even though he was making a left turn and I was in the damn intersection already.

I really don't know what he expected me to do. There was another car bearing down on me so I could not stop to let him speed on his merry way. Plus, let me say it again: I was in the goddammn crosswalk and I am in an effing wheelchair. I have the freaking right of way, fool.

So I kept going. He jerked up and swerved to try to go around me. He must have realized the other car was coming too fast for him to zip by, because he just stopped.

We both glared at each other. Well, I glared underneath my scarf and ski mask. He might have been glaring, too; who can see inside a car?

I almost wanted him to kill me so he would fry. Knowing my luck he'd just hurt me and leave me a shell of me and I'd have to do "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" thing. But I'd get bored and just signal four-letter words over and over.

Thank God he missed me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am disturbed by how many of your posts begin: I was going to talk about this, but instead I'll talk about how someone almost ran me over. Yikes, dear boy.
JTG

Matt said...

You get two for one. I briefly tell you about the less sucky adventure then spend time on the main point. You're lucky.


Blog Archive