Sunday, September 27, 2009

Another Sunday without drowning!

I made my return to the pool today, fun as always, even if there were lots of new people.

It was more the absence of people I knew that worried me at first. My teacher wasn't there and I did not see any volunteers until the last minute. Then one of my regulars showed up, and I worked with him and also a first-time volunteer who I suspect was many,many years my junior. Thankfully, she didn't call me sir.

I learned that I am better holding my breath under water than trying to blow bubbles. When blowing bubbles, I run out of breath and inhale through my nose so I can keep up the bubble stream. Or I start to. I remember as water pours into my nose: Don't do that! And I stop, too late to keep out the water but soon enough not to drown.

I also need to figure out what to do now that it is not hot out. My teeth started chattering while I was still in the water, and I wasn't even cold. It could get ugly. I am off to google for options other than a wetsuit.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe that short of a layer of blubber, coating yourself with vaseline is the next best thing.
Don't google that.
JTG

Anonymous said...

I am no nutritionist, but I wonder if there is something you can eat that will help raise your body temp.? -- Ellen

Anonymous said...

shots of southern comfort should help.
sdt

Matt said...

Or a long-sleeve swimming shirt.

Anonymous said...

Boooooring.
JTG


Blog Archive