Monday, September 7, 2009

Matt and the mainstream

I bought some shoes today.

Every shopping trip reminds me, though, how far outside the mainstream I am as a consumer.

I needed shoes to wear over my braces to replace the ragged Simples I have been wearing. I wanted something with a lowish cut, especially on the back. Apparently, low Chuck Taylors were my only option. While I have nieces, nephews and siblings who wear them, no thanks.

I normally wear size 8 shoes. I wound up buying some size 10 shoes so that they would not be too hard for Mom to get on.... Which brings up another problem with these braces: They are supposed to make me stronger and better able to transfer by myself, but I cannot put them on myself. I am just trading dependence.

Most of my clothes is too big for me. I have gotten bigger and bigger pants -- the width now exceeds the height! -- but I don't think I have gained much weight. I mean when I stand up, my pants fall down. It is just because the lame mainstream consumer does not need pants that allow them to sit 15 hours a day or longer.

P.S.: A bonus follows. How I spent my Labor Day weekend.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

because of the swelling in my feet I now wear shoes that are two sizes bigger and must be wide. I have a closet full of shoes of multiple sizes. as far as clothing sizes, all of my tops have to be large because I am sitting and they need to button up to the top otherwise they flop open. The icing on the cake are the pants. After my last surgery I need to wear very large pants because my stomach remains swollen (I will not reveal the size) and I cannot button them because the waistband rubs on one of the vertebrae in my back. And worst of all is NO jeans because they also irritate my skin - that is just the worst. I feel your pain.
sdt

Matt said...

Gee whiz, you make my complaints sound wimpy.

Anonymous said...

where's my bonus story?

Matt said...

it's right below the first post: here.


Blog Archive