Monday, September 14, 2009

Matt the Jock

I got back to swimming on Sunday, which was awesome. It prevented me from watching Daniel Snyder's catastrophe, but even better I actually did some solo swimming.

Mike the volunteer was right there to grab my head but I floated on my own and then the teacher had me do a little motion with my arms to propel me. Not much, and I didn't go far, but it was pretty cool.

I suspect that whenever I start swimming on my own, I will find it much easy. I am too self-conscious, and having three people intently watch me makes me laugh, which of course kills the floating.

I also held my breath under water for five whole seconds. And only once, in the four times I went under water, did I inhale through my nose. I actually managed to exhale most of the water back out so I did not die. Nowhere close.

I also need to get some goggles.

I told the teacher that I use my eyes to do almost everything, and I do. But she has me wear them when I duck underwater. I think it does help me to keep looking, but I think goggles would work better. They would also prevent the problem of me splashing myself in the eyes and losing my floating balance, another plus.

I was telling this guy at work that I was swimming now, not riding horses. He said I was becoming a jock, so maybe I will be the one to rescue the Redskins. I know instead of an armchair quarterback, I'll be a wheelchair one.

No comments:


Blog Archive