Tuesday, October 13, 2009

I do not need a 200 pound lawn mower

I was watching my little sister mow her lawn as we prepared to remember my grandmother's death.

Actually, it was not that creepy. We were celebrating her life, but we do it around the day she died. Her birthday is March 1, though, which doesn't invite outdoor celebrations. Maybe that is why.

I have talked about this before, but it is odd what you miss when you are in a chair.

I hated mowing the lawn, unless I got to use the riding mower. That was awesome. I am sure I could still do that, but I am equally sure that I would not be allowed to, so I don't try.

Mowing the lawn was cool at first -- I remember I was 9 or 10 when I got to cut the grass. I tackled Gram's front yard first and it took me an hour, about double what it took when I knew what I was doing.

I went around and around the yard in smaller and smaller squares. This couple of young adults walked by and the girl came up and said her boyfriend said it is faster to go in lines. It is. That is what I did later but that day I just said thanks and said I was going in squares.

It was tiring, smelly, sweaty and I always got blisters from holding down the lever that kept the mower running.

Explain to me then why I was watching my sister enviously. I even started thinking of adaptions that would enable me to cut the grass myself. If the mower weighed about 200 pounds, then it could support me. Of course, I would not be able to push that much of a mower so I would need it to be self-propelled, but real slow so I could walk behind it still.

Really, I hated mowing the lawn.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sort of stuck on the image of you using the riding mower, or more to the point, the image of you telling Dad you were going to use the riding mower.
Love you.
JTG

Anonymous said...

I loved mowing the lawn even though it was part of my task list required to receive an allowance. We could not use a riding mower because we have lots of different pieces of lawn but the largest piece was on the side of the house which was right in front of the main road. I thought I was pretty cool out there in the summer in my shorts and tank top (of course it was a way to also get suntan) and my sneakers that were full of green because they were designated for lawn mowing. I liked the physical activity and that sense of accomplishment after mowing when it looks good. It makes me laugh to think back at how cool I thought I was mowing the lawn. Was I expecting to get"picked up" or even just admired by a passing driver?
sdt

Anonymous said...

I have to say I am with JTG on this one, though I do recall the feeling SDT describes. I do still like to cut the grass, sometimes. The smell to me is very evocative, even if i am not the one cutting the grass.
mtc

Matt said...

I think Dad would be only one of several in Falls Church to stand in my way. So I am unlikely to be as cool as SDT was--and is.

Anonymous said...

OK...now I am stuck between images of sdt in 80s era shorts and tank top ( I am thinking Magnum PI Hawaii 50 style) and Matt saying to dad.."Hey can you grab me the key for the riding mower?"

ejd

Anonymous said...

yes, I was definitely wearing 80s garb. In fact I clearly remember a pair of yellow terrycloth shorts that had white satin stripes on the side. And they were short! Yikes!

Anonymous said...

OMG...that is so sweet! I love it. I believe that I had a one piece terry cloth outfit that had tank top top and short shorts with some sort of elastic in the middle. It was white with purple trim. HOT!

Anonymous said...

PS Matt...sorry we have turned your blog into a fashion discussion!

Matt said...

Seriously ... We are talking about me me me, not girlie fashion.


Blog Archive