Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Bad genes not germs

I don't think I have the flu – swine or otherwise. Really.

It's just so hard to tell. Is that aching in my legs a result of swimming or falling or a seasonal disease? Damned genes or damned germs – which is which?

Work sent out an email ordering us to go home if we feel bat all ad. I always feel somewhat bad somewhere in or on me. Not sure if that counts, though.

After the email, I was less worried about my health, then about my appearance of health.

I know you are supposed to cough into an elbow (my nephew reminds me), but it is all I can do to not put my face through the computer monitor or fly into the desk when I cough. My germs are then sailing freely through the office, but Friedreich's ataxia is not contagious.

And I do cough. When I drink and the water goes down the wrong pipe ... When I don't drink and my throat goes dry ... When I talk loudly and it tickles my throat ... When I eat pretzels ...

I want a sign: I am not sick, just disabled. The wheelchair probably explains the disabled part so maybe just a sign that I am not sick or at least not contagious. But is that protesting too much?

No comments:


Blog Archive