Friday, December 11, 2009

There's no I in PT

I am quickly learning that physical therapy this time around will be both time-consuming and not something I will be able to do alone.

I went to the hospital at 7:30 this morning, just like I did yesterday. The difference? Today I had an appointment; yesterday I sat there until the receptionist told I was 24 hours early.

My therapist for the day and I went over a few things. I got her to explain how I could do the seated exercises in my chair rather than a couch. She also tweaked some exercises I was doing. Well, not changing the exercises, just the reps.

When we got to the lying-down exercises, she gave me some new ones and added the idea that I would probably do better with someone holding my knees when the exercises call for bent legs. With her keeping my knees steady, I was even able to do a bridge – raising my butt off the mat. I haven't been able to do that in a while; failing to do a bridge is one of the reasons I went back to PT.

My 5-year-old nephew could hold my knees, too. There is really no strength needed. The person just keeps them steady.

I know my nephew would get bored and wander off. My point was that even a child could do it. But I am pretty sure that he is not yet ready to be a member of Team Trott.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey...don't sell him short. You could just tell him that after 10 reps you will play pinball zone with him and he will be in like flynn.

xoox
me

Matt said...

I don't know. Maybe...


Blog Archive