Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Falling down stairs

Some newspaper editors who think they are wise argue against stories when stock indexes like the Dow Jones industrial average hit a big, round number. Dow 10,000 is just a number, they argue, "nothing significant."

I disagree. They are ignoring the optimism much of the public feels when stocks are rising. People might be willing to spend more if they think their retirement funds are in good shape. That boosts company profits and leads to jobs.

The house my sister and her family and I are building had one of these insignificant milestones today: They finally put the stairs in.

My nephew and niece got to see the outlines of their bedrooms and even what the playroom in the attic will look like.

I haven't been in the house yet -- the ramp hasn't been built. And I do not want to be carried around to see inside. I want to walk into the house and up the stairs.

You know what really sucks: How am I going to get into the playroom?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We'll figure out a way to get you up there. If we win the lotto we'll put the elevator in ASAP. I promise with all my heart. And lest you lose heart, don't doubt that there will be plenty of toys within your reach. I have no doubt that on our first night there Joed will hold you to your stay up all night to play Wii promise.

I love you with all my heart.

xo
your little sister

Matt said...

thanks. I am not worried about having too few toys available.

jess said...

i was going to say that from what i've heard about those kids so far, i'm guessing the playroom will be wherever uncle matt is.

Anonymous said...

yea, but the big tv will be close by - no stairs required!
sdt

Anonymous said...

If you get that elevator, you won't need a playroom! -- Ellen

Matt said...

Ha everyone, I hope jess wilson is right. After all, they did just come over and ambush me with nerf guns.

Anonymous said...

Rumor on the street is they also ambushed Grandpa Teddy? Can you confirm such a brazen act? :)

Hope they spiced up your evening!

xo
me


Blog Archive