Sunday, January 3, 2010

Too sad

When I was a child, I went to a fair number of funerals: three grandparents, other relatives, a family friend or two. I don't remember being upset by any of them, although after a funeral for a parish priest, I dreamed that I was in a coffin. I did not look dead necessarily, just asleep. I was even curled up under the blue afghan Gram made me, which is still my bup of choice. Is that creepy?

I went to a funeral here and there in the years since, but they didn't bug me much.

In the past few years I have been to three and they have all wrecked me. Gram, a co-worker's daughter and tonight a service for my sister-in-law's mom. It was all I could do tonight to bite my lips and the inside of my cheeks to keep my sobs inside. And I didn't even know her that well.

This makes it impossible to pick up women at funerals, a la Will Ferrell's Chaz in Wedding Crashers. If someone had touched me, even like putting a hand on my shoulder, I totally would have been unable to keep my sobs inside and would have had to leave. Although, maybe then the cuties have to go comfort me ...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was crying too.

I wanted to touch your shoulder b/c I knew you were thinking what I was.

I also knew that if I did it would open your flood works and then mine.

I saw you focusing on Claren and wished K or J were infants and in my arms so I could focus on them.

I love you.

me

Matt said...

Thanks for not touching me!

Anonymous said...

sorry to make you guys cry (almost). Thank you for being there. You are such an important part of my life!
sdt

Matt said...

I am just glad you are still talking to me after saying I wanted to pick up chicks there.

Anonymous said...

hey,

I have nothing against using any opportunity possible for finding the perfect lady!

Matt said...

HEE!


Blog Archive