Monday, February 15, 2010

I am scared of dogs, especially Claren

I am even more certain than ever that I want a bus to take out Claren and me at the same time.

My brother-in-law and sister lost their dog today. Jack had been old for years and he had survived some major surgeries recently, but there was nothing to do this time.

My brother-in-law had Jack since he was a puppy. One of the first times I saw Jack was at my brother-in-law's office. It was draft night for fantasy football, and this was like the first "friend" thing we had done without my sister. It was cool, and one of the things I remember is he had a picture of his dog on his desk but not his girlfriend. My sister tried to rectify that a little later by getting her picture taken with Jack and framing it as a present.

Jack and I weren't exactly close, although he did love my wheelchair because he could always find a crumb of food there. But I loved him because he totally had Claren's back.

Claren and my uncle's dog love to wrestle. Claren has the size, but Sweetpea has the youth. And when they would roll around near Jack, he would just wait till Claren pinned Sweetpea and then Jack would sneak and nip Sweetpea.

It was also pretty amazing how devoted he was to his family. Jack wasn't a walker, so he stayed when his family walked around the block. But you could almost tell where they were just by which way Jack was pointed.

Everything about being part of a service dog team has been better than I can imagine. I am sorry to all the humans I know and love, but Claren saved me from my depression.

I know I won't have to deal with Claren retiring from being service dog, let alone dying, soon, but whenever I am force to think about it, I just want to start looking at bus schedules.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i can't possibly imagine how close you must be. a lucky dog, indeed.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the doggy shout out to Jackdog big brother. It is really weird to be here without him. I don't like seeing his rope outside, but I can't get through the 3 feet of snow to get it out of the ground yet. Maybe by the weekend.

I remember that first outing of yours with my hubby as well...now look where it has taken us...roomies! Jackdog was indeed a fan of Claren's and your wheelchair. I think he viewed you as his own personal snack bar.

xo
ejd

kabuki said...

ejd, thanks for the message this morning about Jack. He listened to my howls and answered in kind. I like that in a dog and I will miss him. I guess Claren will have to handle Sweetpea on her own now, Matt. Maybe it's up to me to bring a new dog character into the game.
Watch out!

Matt said...

We are both lucky dogs. I don't like to brag but Claren has a good life ... even if she has to hear me sing "Sister Golden Hair Surprise," which is totally stuck in my head.

Your husband was nicer to me then, maybe because he knew I could reach into the "Something about Mary" playbook and say that I overheard him say you were quite a catch if it weren't for your crippled brother. HEE

The more the merrier, kabuki.

marypat said...

You're not scared of dogs, Matt. You're scared of the lack of dogs.

Being dogless is such a sad thing -- it took me a year to get over losing Molly (our dog from San Diego). And by "over" I mean not tearing up when I thought about her, and not expecting her to come racing to the door with her squeaky toy when we came home, etc.

I've only met Claren once or twice, but she is a beautiful dog and has done beautiful things for you. My deepest, deepest sympathies to your family for their loss.

Matt said...

Thanks, marypat. I can't decide whether it is being dog-less or Claren-less I fear. It won't be soon is all I tell myself.


Blog Archive