Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Why do you make it so hard?

A co-worker came over to me as I was watching an Olympics video with headphones on. I pulled the headphones down, and she said: "Ice dancing photo?"

I had just fixed a figure skating caption and the video I was watching was about skating, so it didn't seem that odd a question. Only, when I repeated her question back to her, she looked really confused.

Turns out she had said "Nice headphones."

After we established I am deaf, I said: So what do you need? The conversation had taken longer than either of us had planned, and we were both laughing. She was coming over to apologize for some scheduling problem, and she preceded her apology by jokingly asking: "Why do you make it so hard."

I didn't tell her that the exact same thought was in my head, but I was directing the question to Friedreich's ataxia or God.

And to those of you thinking Matt and the Olympians would run out, I offer gold medalist Martina Sablikova of the Czech Republic, who after winning the 5,000 meter speedskating race said: "My legs is kaput." You and me both, Martina. You and me both.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

before coming here or reading this today, i set my facebook status as

'i don't want to start any blasphemous rumors, but i think God's got a sick sense of humor, and when i die, i expect to find Him laughing.'

depeche mode

thought you might appreciate that given your post

Matt said...

Awesome!

For a final in my news-writing class, I wrote a long story based on "Personal Jesus."

Anonymous said...

Post it.
JTG

Anonymous said...

in cleaning the basement, MKC found a box of stuff that had been in a dresser in our Arlington apt. in the box was a paper that matt had written in college (I think) about superstitions and baseball players. If he can't find his Personal Jesus paper. I could post that.
mtc

Matt said...

I found it, but it is like five or six pages long. And I don't how it on a computer. But trust me, it rocked.


Blog Archive