Friday, April 2, 2010

Blessing?

Last night a friend said that my presence was "such a great blessing" to my niece and nephew, but I wonder what my niece would say to that after I ran her over.

Granted, it was her fault, but she's 6, so I suspect it was my fault.

I am not exactly sure of all these events, but they are the only explanations that come to mind when I replay the incident.

She was sitting on my left knee and driving my power chair. She was in third gear, which was one faster than I realized. Her brother had just fallen down and was being comforted by his parents, so my niece and I were on our own, more or less. I did have my hand on the joystick, but I let her steer.

She started going into the grass and up a slight incline.

Going over grass is bumpy so I suspect my left foot came off the footrest and my left leg, where my niece was sitting, became less a sit-able surface and more a slidable one. What I know is that she started slipping off my lap.

Again I suspect that I was leaning forward in my chair to hold my niece up with my left arm as she slid down. What I know is that I was leaning forward, which meant my right hand was pushing forward on the joystick and driving my niece farther under the chair.

Next thing I knew, my niece was disappearing under the footplate of the chair, yelling WHOA, WHOA, WHOA!

I am not sure how I stopped pushing the joystick. As my sister came running up after hearing her daughter's yells, I do know that I was bent over at the waist. Maybe I just pulled my arm off the joystick and my body flopped in half.

My niece's foot was all muddy and she was laughing a little too hard to convince me (and her) that she was OK. She also took a minute to push my body upright again.

I wonder who is really blessed.

5 comments:

jess said...

sounds like everyone in the story is blessed. what a wonderful family you all make.

Anonymous said...

amen Jess, amen.

xo Matt

ejd

Matt Trott said...

Yes, we are lucky.

jess said...

Nah, that's not luck, honey.

It's love.

Anonymous said...

I think K's reaction proves my point. -- Ellen

Blog Archive