Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Disenchanted

I don't like magic.

I think the last magic TV show I watched was "Breaking the Magicians' Code: Magic's Biggest Secrets Finally Revealed." That was probably because Mitch Pileggi hosted.

I am not sure when I became disenchanted. I remember watching Doug Henning levitate Sandy Duncan and being on the edge of my seat.

David Blaine and his kind of magicians did not help. They made me feel like they were putting one over on a gullible audience.

It is not that I need to know how they did something, but I become vastly uncomfortable when I cannot figure out how or why a trick happened. To borrow from St. Ignatius and probably many others, I want to know the Prime Mover behind the magic trick.

I think this is why God exhausts and angers me. I cannot figure it out -- why a good, loving God allows Friedreich's ataxia or evil or pain or sorrow. And I know I'll never figure God out. But unlike magic on TV, I can't turn God off.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I told Jesus yesterday that he was not helping his case lately.
JTG

jess said...

you know who i do like? david copperfield. luau and i went to see him years ago. it was right after that masked magician guy had done his thing on tv. and copperfield got up and said, 'oh, and by the way, if the masked magician is in the audience, go fk yourself.' it was pretty funny.

but that wasn't your point. no, that was just the pretty girl pointing at something shiny part of your post to lighten up the painful questions. and i'll be damned if i can answer them either.

why does a merciful God allow us to suffer needlessly? i've got nothing, my friend. except a very strong desire to believe that there IS an answer to that question and that we are simply too small to understand it.

Matt said...

Not at all.

I think there is a reason, too, and that is why I can't stop searching.

Anonymous said...

Also, I meant to say: A.D. Skinner!!!!
JTG


Blog Archive