Saturday, June 5, 2010

Claren is fine, but I am a wreck

I was asleep out on my chaise lounge when the guests arrived for my niece's seventh birthday party. Apparently, though,Claren and I were a hit. Mostly her, I imagine.

The girls were in my niece's class, so they had met Claren when I talked to them a few weeks ago and I'm told they were all like: "it's Uncle Matt and Claren!"

Mom woke me up and asked if they could come pet Claren since she was off-duty. I said sure, and some did.

It's understandable. Claren is pretty hard not to love. And I wonder if I need to share that love more than I am.

I got an e-mail tonight that CCI wants graduate in the area to go to Walter Reed to meet and talk to veterans and answer questions about service dogs as part of CCI's Wounded Veterans Initiative.

Parts of me really want to go. I had never even considered being able to help veterans and this would give me that chance. I love talking about service dogs and CCI. I like helping people.

But ... I am terrified. A friend of mine who raises service dogs told me stories of taking her dog to Walter Reed. The stories were about these young men and women trying to put their live back together without arms or legs or whatever and just the stories made me cry.

I worked with the Navy one summer in college but that was another lifetime, one where I could walk and hear. I have had no interaction with military folk since really.

Kids love Claren, and are impressed by the things she does, but this would be real life with vets, although they are probably just kids, too, which makes it worse.

I know Claren would be fine. But I am not sure I would be. I am also not sure if that is a good reason not to do it.

3 comments:

jess said...

With all due respect, it's not. Go, Matt. I'm willing to bet that you will find that you have the strength you need.

A couple of years ago, I was asked to speak at MIT. I was terrified. It seemed absurd to me. I mean, seriously - me??I got a D in the one science class I took in college.

But a friend told me something that made it all make sense to me. 'you are the expert in your own story. And that is what they need to hear.'

So I say the same to you today. Dig deep. Tell your story. Those vets need to hear it. And the best part? Claren will be right by your side. Which is kind of the point, no?

Anonymous said...

Damn Jess! You've got his number and we haven't even met yet :) I already told him I would drive him out there.
Well said!

Patrick said...

I agree. It sounds like a heck of an opportunity, and I don't imagine you'd regret going (versus not).

In other news, from last week's New Yorker, this just made me laugh.


Blog Archive