Saturday, July 10, 2010

At least there was no elevator music

I had a few run-ins with elevators this past week but nothing unusual. I was, therefore, surprised when elevators popped up as a major plot device in my dreams last night.

In real life, an elevator started to close on me because my foot rest had just crossed the threshold but the doors didn't notice, and twice I found myself pushing the call button and rushing to the elevators only to have it shut in my face. One time I had to push the button three times before I made the elevator. But as I said, nothing unusual.

Apparently my subconscious had enough, though.

I had a dream with chapters that were tied to different rides on the elevator. Or non--rides.

In the first chapter, my brother's organization, which works with people in chairs, was meeting in my building, which had been made over to look like a big hotel. I was with him on floor 2 and a bunch of people in chairs were trying to get on the elevators but the doors kept closing too fast. Eventually, a security guard called in other guards to use security keys to hold the elevators open for the people in chairs. I remember leaning over to my brother and telling him we should have them do that all the time there are people with chairs.

In another I got off on the wrong floor and had to deal with the trauma of the elevator again. In a third, a friend was using a chair. She is one of the most non-disabled people I know, but there she was wheeling around.

The final chapter shows just how screwed up my dreams are.

I was in the back corner and this small person with what looked like a backpack got on. The doors did not shut tightly, so someone asked the person to move. He said he couldn't and we noticed the bundle on his back was stuck in the door. It turned out not to be a backpack but several layers of mothballs that were somehow lashed to his back. He shrugged off the bundle and came in, and I realized it was just a kid.

The woman in front of him somehow indicated he was her son, then she gave him a big kiss on the lips because, I guess, "THAT's how it is in their family..."

The mom then pointed out that her son smelled like mothballs, so as the door opened, another woman picked him up and shot him with the trick flower squirter she had on her lapel. The water came out like it was from a hose and it looked like the kid had gorilla fur.

Finally, she put the kid down. The mom asked if the woman covered the kid's eyes. The woman said no, and sorry to leave you hanging but that is all I remember.

But I am sure that is enough to analyze me to death.

2 comments:

Patrick said...

"The mom then pointed out that her son smelled like mothballs, so as the door opened, another woman picked him up and shot him with the trick flower squirter she had on her lapel. The water came out like it was from a hose and it looked like the kid had gorilla fur."

Maybe my favorite graf ever in your blog. Trick flower squirter puts it over the top. The mental physics of inserting that into one's dream are wild. Love it!

Matt said...

And I remember not being shocked at all by the fur or the hose-like flower squirter.


Blog Archive