Thursday, August 12, 2010

Almost fun Friedreich's ataxia facts: Restless legs and Proprioception

Lurking somewhere beneath the really nasty symptoms of Friedreich's ataxia, like loss of coordination, fatigue, vision impairment, hearing loss, slurred speech, scoliosis, diabetes, serious heart condition, digestive and evacuation issues ... (Do you feel bad for me yet? I can go on, really.)

Beneath these are problems that pale in comparison. You might even call them fun or just annoyances, too embarrassed to consider them problems. You might, but not me, especially having dealt with several of thee issues at 3 in the morning today.

The first is restless legs syndrome -- a need to move one's legs that "is often accompanied by uncomfortable sensations." Normally, I only get restless legs when tired so I easily solve it by going to bed. But when you are already in bed, and have been for five hours, what to do.

I did not want to get up, mainly because I was so tired and I have that loss of coordination thing mentioned in the really nasty symptoms part above. I tried some stretching exercises in bed, pulling my legs up to my chests, but I was distracted by fatigue and the heat. It was so hot last night. I was as unclothed as this guy gets, but I was sweating. The fans were blowing air, but it was hot air.

The other problem popped up when I released the stretch and let my legs down. In the rock-climbing post, I mentioned that the other climber had to help my feet find footholds. This is because I have no idea where my feet are. Apparently, what I lack (among other things) is Proprioception, the ability to tell where your body is in space.

I'd lower my legs after the stretch, but in my tired fog, I'd lower my left leg on my right foot, which I would not notice until I got more restless legs and found my right foot trapped.

I was up till after 5 trying to relax and fall back asleep, but it is hard to order yourself to relax.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

blame it on the heat. I don't know how you made it. Just think, nice cool air conditioning all night long is in your future!
sdt

Anonymous said...

My m-i-l takes medication for restless leg syndrome. Want me to find out about it?
Jtg

Matt said...

Nah, I think it was the heat


Blog Archive