Saturday, June 18, 2011

I thought I could be an island



I have always been a little jealous of the narrator in Simon & Garfunkel's "I am a rock."

I know he is alone, but a lot of us feel that way. Plus, there is the added bonus that "a rock feels no pain; and an island never cries."

I was operating on the "island never cries" theory when I asked my little sister to go home tonight.

As I have been drinking a lot to try to rehydrate, I am peeing more than a lot. For someone with continence issues who can't get to the bathroom fast, heavy drinking (of the water variety) can get ugly fast.

Suffice it to say that it did get ugly tonight, and with Mom and Dad out, I needed my sister's help. She came right over and got everything cleaned up.

I kept apologizing and she kept telling me not to. That finally did it. I started crying, not because I am incontinent or have Freidriech's ataxia, not even because my little sister, who I never got along with growing up, was giving up her evening to help me.

But because she did not mind helping me. And the grace and love was overwhelming.

So I asked her to leave.

If I was alone, I would not cry. I'd suck it up, find a bad movie and watch it.

Instead, she hugged me.

Uhh, what part of "an island never cried" does she not get? And how do I make sure she never does get it?

No comments:


Blog Archive