Saturday, February 4, 2012

Elevators are for me

When I needed it most, my brain blanked on my brother-in-law's cutting comeback when walking people fill up the elevator and don't let me on.

He suggested I say loudly: "Oh, I'll just take the escalator. Oh, wait, that's right, I can't because I'm in a wheelchair."

The stage was set on Friday when I got to the elevator at the West Falls Church metro. I got off the train and wheeled to the elevator just as it filled up with people who walk.

The two people right at the elevator doors squirmed a bit when they saw me and looked uncomfortable, but they didn't get off.

I started to say, "I'll just get the next one." But then I thought, why let these jerks off the hook; they should feel uncomfortable.

Instead as the doors were closing, I shouted, "THE ELEVATORS ARE FOR ME."

Now, I have a quiet voice, and normally when I say I shouted, I imagine most people do not hear me. This time, though, I really yelled. I know this because a woman in the station came over and asked if I was all right.

Yes, I told her. I just don't like people not letting me on the elevator. She agreed, although it might have been just to get clear of the crazy guy.

It was a rotten start to the weekend, but I'd be lying if I didn't say it felt good.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it seems mean to say something like that but it definitely makes you feel good afterward! Sometimes when the elevator is full and nobody gets out to let me on, as the doors start to close, I just smile, wave at them, say thanks a lot!

Matt said...

Well, they are being mean to me.

Tony said...

And not only that, they're being selfish idiots as well.

(that was me above too, forgot to sign it)

Anonymous said...

Totally agree with Tony!
They will hear you next time!
sdt


Blog Archive