Tuesday, March 13, 2012

I don't know why either

I don't smoke. Never have.

The closest I ever got was playing with some cigarettes Mrs. B left after a get-together at Mom and Dad's. Not even playing with them with matches.

I just remember looking at the tobacco as I ground the cigarettes out on Gram's back steps.

I always sort of wanted to smoke whenever I heard Simon and Garfunkel's America. I always liked the banter in the song: "Toss me a cigarette, I think there’s one in my raincoat"/"We smoked the last one an hour ago."

Lately, though, it is another line that gets me: "I’m empty and aching and I don’t know why." That's how I have been feeling on these glorious spring days.

I don't think cigarettes are the answer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That "empty and aching" line gets me every single time...without fail.


Blog Archive