Sunday, June 24, 2012

Remembering it all

I swam four lengths of the big outdoor pool mostly on my own yesterday. My teacher just barely held my head and sometimes -- as the snouts full of water I swallowed will attest -- not at all.

All told, I swam a quarter mile.

But those four lengths without a vest, or a fat suit, were  so cool ...and so hard.

Nothing about floating comes naturally to me. My teacher says it is because I have no body fat. Whatever, it is just hard.

Remembering everything I need to do to keep afloat taxes my brain -- I need to relax, keep my belly up, trust my hips forward, don't jerk, oh yeah, and breathe.

I cannot remember to breathe. My teacher has to remind me.

I suppose this is similar to life with FA. You don't just take a shower: You transfer to a shower chair, buckle yourself in, line yourself up under the shower-head, grab the soap, which is in a stocking to keep it from getting away from you, blah, blah, blah.

I would not mind having things easy, just once.

No comments:


Blog Archive