Saturday, October 19, 2013

Picked last

I am feeling bad -- technically for my nephew but really it is for me.

He lost an election for Student Council, which his sister is on. Even worse, he said he was picked last in football at recess.

In the primary grades, I remember being chased by older girls, but after that ended I do not remember ever playing games at recess. I never thought it was odd either. I stood around and talked with a few other less athletically inclined guys.

I do remember being chosen last in just about every gym class. How about that for a kick in the old self-esteem? Every week for eight years, I was told I was essentially worthless. Then, for the first two years of high school, it was a lesson learned daily. And people wonder why I am bitter.

No comments:


Blog Archive