Sunday, June 3, 2018

Looking up to my nephew

My niece is pretty phenomenal. She is smart, articulate, ridiculously good at hockey and more. Even though he is smart and awesome, too, I would have thought it would be hell to follow his elder sister.

If it is, I have never seen him act like it. He is his sister's biggest fan.

Whenever a friend wins an award or gets a promotion, I too am happy. To a person, they have deserved it. They put in more time than me and are better than I at what won them the award, the promotion, whatever.

But along with is something else. It's not jealousy.

It's sadness.

I am sad because I'll never know if I could win an award or lead a work unit. It's hard to shine when you have to deal with failing body.

It's also kind of sad to have a 13-year-old for a hero.

No comments:


Blog Archive