Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Testing pain

Here is how I'd describe the worst medical test I have had, an electromyography or EMG:zElectrodes are attached to your hands or toes,
  • A needle is stuck in your forearm or heel area,
  • The test giver then manipulate said needle to get it where they want,
  • If you flinch during the manipulation, they tell you to relax,
  • Eventually, current is passed through you, which sounds bad, but if you survived the manipulation, being shocked is a breeze.
I had a blood test this week that reminded me of the EMG. It tested my blood-oxygen level, so it had to be done in an artery, at the pulse in the wrist.

The nurse warned me it can be really painful for some people but to try not to move because that slows the test down. I said OK, looked away, and she jabbed me.

It hurt but not superbad.

Then she did something, and it hurt pretty bad.

Then she did something else, and it hurt close to superbad.

Then it was fine.

I looked.The vial was empty. The pain was because she was manipulating the needle to try to get it in the artery.We switched arms and finished in seconds.

And everything was fine.

No comments:


Blog Archive