Sunday, February 18, 2007

I want to be a rat*

I spent last night at my condo last night, the first time I have been home in a week. I was kept away by snow and ice and the failure of the condo company to clean the sidewalks. Actually, no one cleans sidewalks in my neighborhood; at least no one cleans curb cuts. There were two curb cuts cleaned on my street, so Claren and I went for our walk in the street.

It was wonderful being home, even if it means taking my dog outside myself and having to get things myself. Everything is reachable and fairly easy to use. My bed has the nice stripper pole next to it so I can get in and out easily. I can watch TV at will, and "Napoleon Dynamite" was on.

Starting about 9 p.m., though, none of that mattered. My mom called and said that Mary's family was not coming till Monday night and that my niece had the stomach flu.

I should have felt bad for Mary, but all I could think about was how scared I was of getting sick. Barfing terrifies me. It is not feeling bad or not eating, it is the hurrying to the bathroom. I am really not built for speed and the result can be messy and uncomfortable and just plain rotten.

It is the morning and I have not gotten sick. I am tired, probably because I got up at 6:30, but I am still a little worried.

* -- Rats can't throw up. That is bad because they can't get rid of poison, but they have cool tricks to avoid poison and I am totally willing to go that route.

No comments:


Blog Archive