Sunday, February 11, 2007

You think rush hour is bad?

So my sister Emily thought I should include in here the marvelous misadventures of the para-transit system that gets me to work every day. They do get me to work and usually on time, but the rides often enter the realm of the surreal.

There was the time a few years ago that the driver cursed out my building guard for not opening the gate for him. Or the driver who started snapping photos of an HOV violator. Then there was the van whose door opened a bit as I was riding. These were all subcontractors, not the actual para-transit company.

Not that the company is any less dull. I recently had a ride with a guy in a large wheelchair; I believe he was paralyzed. His chair took up so much room. I was turning my chair to get on the lift and I hit his chair. I turned a little sharper and it felt clear. Then I heard him say: "Whoa, dude, you're crushing my toes." I looked back and sure enough I was bending his foot. How stupid am I? Not that he didn't deserve it a little because he was late coming out. Kidding, all my fault and unintentional, too.

No comments:


Blog Archive