Saturday, May 30, 2009

Guess my weight? No, really, please

I am not sure anyone not already living it can understand life in a wheelchair. Well, except the readers of this blog.

For instance, the last time I was really weighed was eight or nine years ago at NIH and even that was sketchy.

I was there to see the neurologist for what would be the last time. There's nothing more we can learn from you, the neuro said, so don't call us, we'll call you. I am still waiting for that call.

But before he booted me, I asked him for a scale I could use. He found one with grab bars to pull myself up and then balance. Anyway I did, and I was shocked to find I weighed 135 pounds. I rarely weighed more than 100 when I could use scales.

My primary care doctor was thrilled that I was approaching a normal weight for my height.

Since then, I have tried sitting on a scale with questionable results and just trying not to think about it.

I resolved then to ask my primary care doctor if she had a way to weigh me. Her answer, to put it simply: No.

She said they have bed scales in the hospital but nothing for me. She was sending me to a rehab doctor so she said to ask the rehab doctor.

The rehab doctor had good ideas, I guess, as long as I didn't mind being weighed at a vet or a warehouse.

Who needs to know their weight anyway?

2 comments:

Megg Mueller said...

Ok, I'm jealous. If no number were assigned to my form, I'd be a much happier person. I haven't had a scale for about seven years now, but sadly, sadistic nurses feel compelled to shout out my weight when I'm at the doctor.

And I think you weigh about 140. That's my vote.

Matt said...

I looked it up and I weighed 127 at that last weigh-in, which was almost exactly 5 years ago. The last time I was weighed before that was 5 years earlier. I could stand on a scale and the nurse always moved the heavier weight to 100 pounds and then moved it back to 50 and moved the little weight to about 45. I weighed 95.

In those 5 years, I gained 32 pounds. What if every 5 years I add 32 pounds? That is why I need to know. Plus, none of my pants fit anymore.


Blog Archive