Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Do I like people now?

A friend of Mom and Dad's, and the family's really, had a massive stroke last week and died. It was out of the blue.

I went to the funeral parlor today for her husband, I guess. He and his wife belong to a group with Mom and Dad. I wanted to tell him that his wife always checked on me when they were meeting at Mom and Dad's house.

I did tell him, although I am not sure he really heard me. He heard Dad who repeated it, though.

Not a funeral home fan. Too crowded, too loud. Too many too's. But it was good.

I saw other family friends, although one friend gave me a hug, and her handbag got stuck on the wheelchair joystick so I whammed into her shins. She called me dangerous, but I was like ... ummm, your fault, babe. Good thing it was too loud for anyone to hear my thoughts.

One woman, a daughter-in-law of the woman who died, surprised me. She said something, and I told her I don't hear well. But instead of just abandoning me she kept talking and I kept shaking y head that I didn't hear. Finally she came around and sat down and talked right into my face so I could hear her.

Another woman offered to go in front of me to move people out of the way if need be. She said she had the body for it. She was old enough to be my mother but I wouldn't cross her, but no, at that point I just wanted to leave. And on the way out, an old man cleared the way.

Another post about nice people, what is wrong with me? Snap out of it!

And let me just get this out of the way: When I die, no dark clothes allowed. I want to hear Lionel Richie singing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

handbags and backpacks------ I've got one word for them and that is DANGEROUS!
SDT

Anonymous said...

Matt, no matter what, you will always be a curmudgeon to me
mtc

Tony said...

Lionel Richie? Where did that come from? I agree that funeral music needs some help, but Lionel Richie? I'm not so sure about that one. "All Night Long?"

Matt said...

Thank you, SDT! It was a big handbag, too, like something big enough to double as a diaper bag.

And I appreciate the respect for my curmudgeonly cred. I know I will get annoyed soon.

And Lionel Richie is great!


Blog Archive