Sunday, November 29, 2009

Glee doesn't get a free pass

Anyone who cannot hear well or has a loved one with poor hearing knows that it is profoundly unfunny.

I am disappointed then that Glee played for comedic effect the half-deaf choir director last week.

Perhaps they were trying to show the difference between children, who seemed moved by the deaf choir's performance, and Mr. Shue, who acted annoyed and exasperated by the hard-of-hearing director. But I don't think that was it.

The disability of the director was played as a joke. Like Mr. Shue kept saying "your cellphone is ringing," only to have the director respond to some unasked and unrelated question. It was SO funny.

As someone who doesn't hear his cellphone 90% of the time I am now rooting against the Glee Clubbers, even if they do have a wheelchair user.

4 comments:

Patrick said...

Struck me as strange too. Even with the controversy over casting, the scripts had been so consistently inclusive until that point.

Matt said...

Glad it wasn't just me.

I was a little disappointed Artie doesn't use a chair but was not surprised. I was more mad when able-bodied Jason Ritter played the wheelchair-using brother in Joan of Arcadia. But what pissed me off unbelievably was when Jason Ritter, dumb jock who didn't go to college because of his accident, is made a copy editor at his local newspaper. My journalistic heart died that day.

Unknown said...

This post has been included in a linkspam at Access-fandom. Thank you!

Matt said...

thanks, cool.


Blog Archive