Saturday, December 5, 2009

Giving braces another try

I am back in AFOs these days and so far they don't suck.

My original ones allowed me to bend slightly at the heel. But they also rubbed against my ankle bones something awful. I could not wear them, even though I liked how they kept my foot at a good angle when sitting.

The new ones are real restrictive, just one piece of molded plastic from calf to toe. No hinges like the other ones. They padded throughout, too. Nice.

It is going to require some re-learning how to transfer, though. Actually, I'll just have to transfer the proper way consistently. You generally want to slide forward in your chair to transfer, but that of course takes time and patience. I often just get up. No doubt, this is part of the reason I also fall a lot.

The new AFOs require me to slide forward because they do not let me extend my foot at all to reach the floor. I need to slide to the edge so my foot hits flat on the ground.

I am not in love with them because someone else needs to put them on me. Not real independent, so we'll see.

Just like Tiger Woods, I too know the pressures of fame. I am not an idiot to sleep around on my wife or whatever "transgressions" mean, but I am writing the first clarification for this blog. A correction was sought, but I stand by my writing.

I wrote on Sunday that a friend at work said I was overreacting by being annoyed that someone walked right into the wheelchair stall as I washed my hands. My friend took exception, saying that she felt it was uncool but did not believe the guy deserved to die. I responded that I did think he should die (I may have said that if I had a hand grenade, I'd have tossed it in the stall. This was, of course, a lie. Do you have any idea how long it would take maintenance to repair and clean up grenade damage?) I pointed out that given my execution stance she did in fact think I overreacted. Hence, no correction. But to clarify, she does think the guy was majorly uncool, like school in summer: "No class."

No comments:


Blog Archive