Saturday, August 20, 2011

Routines are everything

When one leaves a job, he doesn't just miss his friends. He also misses the rhythm of his job.

At least I do.

I used to get up and head straight to work. Now, I eat breakfast. I used to get home at 4:45 and let Claren play for a bit before dinner. Now, I get home at 5:30, and Claren is starving.

After feeding the Wonder Dog, I'd nap till dinner about 6:30. Now, I nap till dinner about 6:45 or 7.

All this shortens my time for everything. What is getting chopped out is exercise. Or at least it was.

I was telling a friend how lazy I had gotten, and I gave her a number of good reasons or so I thought:
"I am having tummy issues since the week I let USAT. Pretty sure it is nerves, changing routines, uncertainty or something like that. ... Also, I put off some exercise till we got in the new house and I had more room. But the move -- sometime next month for sure -- has been delayed so I just put it off. Finally, I think I am tired of exercising with nothing to show for it. It's not like if I work hard, one of these days I will run. I just won't get worse. I imagine lots of people don't see results, so I know I am not alone, I am just crabby. And I could start now but am still getting used to the new job routine."
She was much kinder in her response than I deserved. She just said "you're worth it" and"git 'er done." No "Suck it up, you big fat baby."

She was right, so even though I remain tired, crabby, unsettled and with a questionable stomach, I am exercising.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

changing routines is hard. sorry about your tummy. i need to do more breathing exercises each day and i'm planning to start tomorrow. if you can exercise so can i.
sdt

Anonymous said...

The rewards of exercise may not be blazingly apparent in the short run but in the long run, will make a big difference.

If you will, I will.
Tummy, feel better!

Matt said...

Six days of exercise in a row so far. My legs were even sore.


Blog Archive