Monday, February 1, 2016

Matt and Mom go to the dogs -- Part I

I got the OK to blog about team training as long as I don't name names -- human or canine.

The trip to Canine Companions for Independence's Northeast Center in LongIsland was long. Traffic around NYC was crazy bad for Sunday afternoon, and it gave me time to recount why I want nothing to do with NYC. Traffic is high on the list.

The dogs were restless Sunday night, folks, or at least loud. Our room looks out on the kennel, and they were yelping till 11--ish. I liked it.

Today, we did orientations and worked a fair bit with the one dog I will name: Carpet Dog, just a rolled-up piece of rug to give the trainers an idea of our strength, timing, etc. Even Mom worked with CD.

After lunch, we met some real dogs and did a few commands with dogs in their first semester of advanced training.

It is a big class -- 13 -- with lots of successors, service candidates, skilled companions, even a facility dog person.

Good group. My new best friend is a 7-year-old who asks a lot of questions.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like that you have a friend who is 7. Have you talked about favorite super heroes yet?
xxoo

Matt said...

not yet, just siblings, names, favorite color, why i am in a chair (try explaining FA to a 7-year-old), etc.


Blog Archive