Sunday, December 31, 2017

My heart breaks again

Once again, hospital TV shows have let me down.

I spent most of Thursday evening in the ER hooked up to a heart monitor. At points during my stay, an alarm went off on the monitor. Not once did a nurse rush in screaming "CODE BLUE" OR "I need a crash cart stat."

I also was receiving a saline IV, but not once did someone sneak in and try to inject poison into the IV. Well, the nurse did inject an antibiotic that almost made me barf, but that doesn't count.

It was not the coolest way to spend the evening.

I wasn't feeling awesome during the day, so my plan was just to nap, but Mom and my sister decided to take my blood pressure. It was quite low.

We called my doctor who thought I should be seen, so in I went. They measured my blood pressure as low but were most worried my heart rate was 45 bpm. What the hell? I was practically a zombie and didn't know? They did an EKG and sent me to the ER.

Once in the ER, my heart and vitals seemed fine. But one of the blood tests was weird, so the doctor did other tests, which were all fine, and waited till I got the full saline IV in me to retest the blood. It should have gone down at that point. Instead, it went up.

That was when they started talking about admitting me.

They decided to give me more saline and retest. That one did behave correctly and I got to go home, about 11:15 p.m.

Mom and I went home

No comments:


Blog Archive