Thursday, December 14, 2017

Not fir-ever

Once, when I was a child, I was setting up the village underneath the Christmas tree. I think I pulled something a little hard, and the next thing I knew, the tree fell down on top of me. I wasn't hurt and neither were the tree and ornaments.

No such luck this year, when I backed into the light cord and brought my tree down. Several ornaments broke and half the light no longer work.

My sister came into my room at the sound of the crash. I just sat there, not saying anything. It is probably a good thing as I was so mad.

As with the lift, Mom tried to take the blame, saying she shouldn't have left the cord for the lights hanging down. Mom's wrong.

The tree has been with me since 1995, through moves from North Carolina and Herndon. It's a good little tree. Too bad I broke it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It wasn't several. It was two. It sucked, but no one got hurt. Xxoo trust me. I drink and I know things.

Unknown said...

I also brought down the Christmas tree as a child! And nearly again two weeks ago as we decided to fix the tree's leaning... after decorating it. I think bringing the tree down or nearly doing so should be a part of every holiday season, and the tree's justified revenge for being cut down and brought indoors.

Matt said...

Several could be two. Plus, the antique bird lost its eyes.

Patrick, I like the idea that bringing down the tree is A) a rite of passage and B) what the cool people are doing this year. Not to mention the revenge angle.


Blog Archive