Saturday, May 4, 2019

I'm the truck

I watched episodes of The Last Kingdom last night till after 1. It wasn't that it was riveting (it is). I just didn't want to close my eyes, afraid of what I'd see.

But after the episode where someone killed someone (spoiler-free!), I had to sleep, so I shut my eyes.

Unbidden, unwanted but expected, pictures popped in front of me from earlier that evening: Mom in front of my chair, me unable to stop, her getting her legs caught and falling, her on the ground with my chair on her leg, neighbors rushing over, an SUV stopping to help, one neighbor running back into his house for paper towels, the paper towels getting bloody, the guy from the SUV feeling her foot, a cut on a temple, Mom holding her side. They went on and cycled back again.

 I broke Mom. (X-rays say I just bruised her.)

Now, my sister has to help me like Mom does, at least for today.

My sister came into my room this morning and told me Mom was Ok but felt like she'd been hit by a truck.

Mom joked a while back that we'd be in trouble if she ever got hit by a truck.

I never thought I'd be the truck.

No comments:


Blog Archive