Sunday, June 16, 2024

Not inaccessible but ….

As I rode around town this past week , it was hard not to get a bit depressed.

I was off last week, and it was really nice out -- not too hot but really sunny. The sun made the bike trail out of the question, so I spent a lot of time on the streets and sidewalks and grass. 

It's not that my town is particularly inaccessible. I suspect is as good as anywhere. But what passes for accessibility is kind of a joke. I could get anywhere I wanted, provided I was willing:

  • To go around poles and trees in the sidewalks.
  • To put up with bumps caused by various covers or sidewalk sections that were inexplicably almost an inch below or above the next section.
  • To accept sidewalks that dropped off sharply on the side or curb cuts that were pretty close to 90 degree angles when compared to the sidewalk next to them.
  • To accept a bumpy ride to get through the parks because the paths are either packed gravel, packed dirt or nonexistent. Not to mention, my city loves cobblestones.

Mom suggested that I tell the city to help them make things more accessible. I have two thoughts on this. As I said before, I do not think my city is particularly inaccessible. So I imagine they honestly don't care.

In the "they don't care" vein, shortly after I got Fame, a TV reporter did a story on me trying to reached the bike trail from my house. I cannot reach the cross walk button and there is a utility pole in the middle of the sidewalk. They told the reporter they would fix the issue. They didn't.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's maddening. We could spend our entire day writing accessibility complaints. But to my surprise, at least in Arlington, it is not hard to report about sidewalks and/or curb cuts. But correct, no guarantee it will be fixed. Our darn physical environment should be fully accessible. PERIOD.
sdt

Matt said...

Yup


Blog Archive