Sunday, July 21, 2024

Makes friends easily?

In kindergarten, we didn't get A's or B's. We got M’s, P’s, and N’s for most of the time, part of the time, and not yet. 

I got M’s consistently, except for one — makes friends easily. That was a part of the time, the bane of my kindergarten existence, which stayed with me through life.

Until I reached college, I would say I maybe had three friends. Sure, there were others I would say hi to and chat with at school, but no one else I’d really call friends. Even the three are kind of a stretch. 

In college and grad school, I got a bit better, but making friends is hard.

Getting a service dog helped, but even then it has not been easy.
This is all to say that making friends is a struggle for me, even without the crap of Friedreich's ataxia.

I went into the office a few weeks ago just for a couple hours to talk to my boss and see some people. It was wonderful. My closest friends at work weren’t there, which was too bad, but it’s hard to dispute how much people, even those with Friedreich's ataxia or perhaps especially them, need connections with people you aren't related to.

A lot of people would telework every day, I have no doubt. And it does have benefits. I get up 20 minutes before a log on and I don't shave every day. Nevertheless, if my body were my own instead of Friedreich's ataxia’s, I would go into the office daily. 


No comments:


Blog Archive