Sunday, September 8, 2024

Stupid remote

The remote control is definitely the weak link of my lift system.
It tends to to stop working after about a month with no indication. If you change the batteries, it usually starts right up. But I am not convinced it needs new batteries. It often works if you just remove one battery and put it back. Unfortunately , the batteries are behind a screwed-in back, so they cannot really be easily removed or changed. Certainly not if one is by oneself.
I have had two or three remotes and am now on a beta test of a different type of remote. But it seems to share all the rotten aspects of the other one. For instance, it failed last Monday for no reason that I could see, so we changed the batteries and it worked fine … for a day.
The next day I was on my own in the morning, an I was using lift to get off the toilet. I had just pressed the up button, and it stopped working. Obviously, I knew it was not the batteries.
After thinking about my options, I used my thumbnail to unscrew the back and remove a battery, actually I didn't even remove it, I just rolled the battery around and that worked fine.
When I am getting off the toilet, I usually stand up in the lift, wițh it just under my arms to pull up my pants and empty out my bladder completely or at least more completely. The problem is if I am not careful I can pee on the toilet seat easily.
With my mind on the remote, that is what I did this time.
I did not want to sit back down in pee with my pants pulled up. I had parked my wheelchair just about three feet from the toilet. So I thought to use the lift to walk t my wheelchair rather than sit back down.
It actually worked fine. Until that is, I pushed the pad on my wheelchair all the way back.
I decided this was a bad idea and it would be uncomfortable. So I used the remote to sit down on the floor, put my legs in the left bracket raise back up and then go to the wheelchair and fix the pad.
Once again this worked fine … until I sat back and pushed the pad all the way back again.
At this point, I decided to screw it. A little discomfort was certainly not intolerable. Eventually mom would come over and she could fix the pad. That is what happened.
I blame the pathetic left remote for that morning failures.

No comments:


Blog Archive